Sunday, February 19, 2012

Being stubborn is a GREAT thing!

I’ll just come right out and say it, I don’t think there’s much point in hiding it! 
            I'm stubborn. I was born stubborn.  
            However, lest you think I never compromise and trample anyone in my way (Although from the title of this blog you already know I wouldn't do that!) I strongly believe that each of us are born with the character traits we are for a reason, and it is up to us to discover that reason and choose to use our gifts wisely. Yes, I believe my stubbornness is a gift. Consequently, I am very aware of how and when I let his trait show itself in my life.
            For example, I continue to drink hot chocolate even though I always somehow spill some on myself, because I believe that someday I should be able to drink hot chocolate and not wear it.
I will never lose a staring contest, and on any playing field, I love being the most spirited and hard-working person.
In the classroom, I can’t stand NOT understanding something! I will doggedly ask questions and work problems until the topic clicks, and in an argument, I have a hard time letting it go unresolved. Believe me, sometimes my stubbornness is the only thing that reminds me I need apologize and admit where I went wrong.
            On somewhat the same note, I hold onto my personal goals for how to have a strong marriage and lead a united family despite those who raise their eyebrows in a gesture of questioning how realistic they are when I talk about them.
 And speaking of, how do I handle those people who raise their eyebrows at my goals and dreams? I don’t give up on my belief that they do have good inside of them and are a person of worth, regardless of the choices they make or the short-sightedness or cynicism they have yet to overcome. I know I'm guilty of it too!
            When somebody is being spoken about negatively in my presence, I recognize I may not always be able to turn the entire conversation around, but if I know anything positive about the person being spoken of, I make a point of always saying it! And if I hear bad things being spoken about me, well, please refer back to what I said about the people who raise their eyebrows at my goals. Unless they're just outlandish things that anybody who knows me at all would know isn't true, then I get a good laugh too!
            Like any family, mine isn’t perfect and we don’t all get along (Even when we do have the best of intentions.). I try not to get discouraged as I try to improve as a daughter and sister through becoming better at service and humility, though.
            I am stubbornly loyal, and I not only recognize when my friends truly need me but will drop just about anything to be there for them, and I make sure they know I will do that.
            Through everything I stand for what I believe, even when I stand alone and I’ll be the first to I admit I have much to improve upon, but then I will follow that admittance up by trying my hardest to turn that “much” into “a little less than yesterday.”
            When hard times in life come my way, I grit my teeth momentarily, but then smile as I remind myself my happiness is my choice, everything happens for a reason, hard work pays off, and I can choose if I come out of the experience as a stronger or weaker person. I believe one of the best ways to keep myself becoming a stronger person is by remembering to look for anything and everything I can to be grateful for. 
           I am grateful I’m stubborn.

What qualities do you have that can be curses and/or gifts? Please leave a comment, I'd love to know! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment