Friday, February 24, 2012

Blue Jaguars and Eyebrows--My first Beauty Blog Post!

If someone gave me a blue Jaguar convertible, I'd do my best to take care of it! Keep it clean and shiny inside and out, take it in for check-ups, drive responsibly, and not make a habit of flaunting it around South Bronx. I believe my body is a gift as well, so I think it's important to take care of it and try to present it in the best way I can! Here's another reason why taking care of your body is important:

“Your clothing expresses who you are. It sends messages about you, and it influences the way you and others act. When you are well groomed and modestly dressed, you can. . . exercise a good influence on those around you” (True to the Faith, 107).

I see "misguided" beauty, fashion, and health choices all the time and they drive me crazy! I don't think some people are fully aware of the message they're sending as a result of being misinformed. Yet as a nice girl, I tend not to point them out. One of the things I want to do on this blog is talk about how to avoid my pet peeves in beauty, fashion, and health!

 I'll start with something simple but that makes a huge difference--eyebrows! If I'm running out the door and only have 2 minutes to do my make up, brushing and filling in my eyebrows is always one of the things I do. Eyebrows frame your face and are a key factor in how the rest of your facial bone structure looks. They also have a huge impact on your eyes, and since the eyes are the window to the soul you want them to have a nice frame!

Look at the difference the two different types of eyebrows make here:
(Thank you Photoshop!)

They are very different, even though these are both decently-shaped eyebrows! Neither are too thin or thick for her face, but they emphasize different aspects of her face and give off different feels. The thicker eyebrows bring out her strong jaw and bring attention to the eyes, while the thinner eyebrows make her features look more delicate and her eyes almost overpower her eyebrows.

Everyone's eyebrows are different, but whether yours are thick, thin, straight, really arched, curved, dark, or light, they are that way for a reason! So the best piece of advice I can give is to work with what you have. Please don't just shave them and draw them back on. Here are the three basic things you need to pay attention to:

1. Thickness
If you have thin brows, you may want to do some filling in with eyebrow pencil, but never go for the Brooke Shields look; it likely won't work on your face, however gorgeous it is on her!


If you have thick brows, please pluck--but not too much! I have made the mistake of over-plucking my eyebrows before and it made my face look heavier and rounder. :o Never doing that again!

 Who ever thought eyebrows like this are cute?


2. Shape
How much of an arch do you have? Even if you don't have a lot, through good shaping you can get the appearance of some. Yet did you notice Natalie Portman's eyebrows in Thor?


 They looked amazing totally straight! Don't be afraid to rock straight eyebrows!

If you do have an arch, awesome. Yet be careful about over-emphasizing the arches because you don't want to look comical. Personally, I can tell when I'm over-emphasizing my arches via shaping or penciling because they make my face look harsher and less natural.
Here's a good tutorial video on how to shape your eyebrows:

 

http://www.blushingbasics.com/2010/06/brow-know-how.html
P.S.-I just love this blog period. :)

If you have an early arch, just please avoid this look at all costs.



3. Color
Whether you use an eyebrow pencil or eyeshadow with an angled brush to shape or fill in your eyebrows, its worth the effort to find one that matches the color of your natural eyebrows! If you're a natural blonde with very pale eyebrows, this one's tricky. If you have white-blonde hair to match, leave them be. But if there are any darker tones in your hair, if you can find a pencil that matches that tone to use on your eyebrows it will look the most natural. And you don't need any expensive brands, the eyebrow pencil I use was like $2 from K-Mart.
If you dye your hair a different hair color, regardless of how good the dye job is, having your eyebrows your natural color will be a DEAD giveaway your hair isn't its natural color. If you can't find a pencil color that looks natural, ask your hairdresser to dye your eyebrows, too.


Happy shaping, penciling, filling in, etc!
Grace


3 comments:

  1. Read and write reviews on Vancouver Hair Salon. Get phone numbers, ratings, maps, directions and more for Hair Salon in Vancouver, WA. Powered by KGW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Supplier of beauty salon equipments, hair curler, hair dryer, hand held hair dryer, electronic hair dryer, motorized hair dryer, hair curler, electric hair curler, salon hair curlers and salon hair dryer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SheilaBlackstar.com is one of UK’s fastest growing online beauty retailers bringing you outstanding value, beauty, grooming and health products straight to your door.

    ReplyDelete